[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 01:35:55 PDT 2014

I think the study Martin described highlights the important fact that children do NOT simply imitate what they see others doing - along with the 'hard' knowledge about  'what people do' they pick up on 'soft' knowledge about how people FEEL about what they do. So the knowing they have about the use of an object which has been actively SHOWN to them is importantly different from the knowing they have about the use of an object which they have  'eavesdropped on'. For me this is one of the key distinctions between the nature of knowing involved in knowledge about znachenie and the kind of knowing (imbued with body and vitality of personal experience) which is involved in smysl.

In David's terms, znachenie is more the stuff of reason because it is generalised, communicable and cool whereas smysl is more the stuff of passion because it 'thick', personal and intricately tied to embodied knowing.

I would challenge Martin's  account of Dmitry Leontiev's  argument that meaning is objectively fixed to 'what is' -  'irrespective of one's personal relation to it' - yes, znachenie - common sense or agreed meaning is more 'objective' than smysl but it is still socially constructed - meanings are agreed by dint of their common use (what people do 'as a rule') rather than because they reflect an absolute objectivity.

Laws and statutes are 'fixed' but not 'true' and because they are generalised (like concepts) in order to be widely applicable, they always have to be interpreted (like concepts) by case law - stories about how they work in specific situations.

I think it is easy to overlook the extent to which our actions and decisions are 'coloured' by  feelings about what we know -

We rarely recognize the extent in which our conscious estimates of what is worthwhile and what is not, are due to standards of which we are not conscious at all. But in general it may be said that the things which we take for granted without enquiry or reflection are just the things which determine our conscious thinking and decide our conclusions. And these habitudes which lie below the level of reflection are just those which have been formed in the constant give and take of relationship with others.

Dewey, J. (1916) Democracy and Education. New York: Macmillan. p.22

All the best,

Rod