[Xmca-l] Re: Phenomenology as lived experience

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:34:41 PDT 2014

Greg,

I want to follow through on Peirce's notion of abduction in relation to
*secondness* and *thirdness* from Kathleen Hull's close reading of Peirce.
It engages with the notion of *self-control* and *mastery* as pragmatic [or
phronesis]

The notion of secondness is what is radical in Peirce's claim so it is the
*aspect* or *angle* or *perspective* or *quality* that needs to be engaged
phenomenologically as just *showing up*

For Peirce *percepts* and *perceptual judgements* and *mathematical
diagrammatic demonstrations* hard HARD FACTS that *show up*.

There IS a compulsive, insistent, disturbing, forceful *secondness* that
offers NO reasons involved in percepts, and perceptual judgements, and
mathematical diagrammatic demonstrations.

In Peirce's metaphysics *thirdness* is ALSO PERCEIVED as generality within
observational demonstration. [showing up]
In Kathleen Hull's reading:

"Thirdness IS perceived. Similar to the way the percept 'simply KNOCKS AT
THE PORTAL OF MY SOUL and stands THERE there in the doorway [Peirce CP7
.619] - IT is insistent, it disturds me, it is a forceful THING, it offers
no reasons, it COMPELS me to acknowledge IT, AND IT IS OUT OF MY CONTROL,
so, too, do the ideas and diagrams which ' SPRING UP IN OUR MINDS' [Peirce
CP7 .619]  Conjectures, hypothesis, and ideas RECOMMEND THEMSELVES to me
'more or less forcefully AS reasonable' [Peirce] " [Hull page 283]

For Peirce the *reasonable* is BEYOND [IN EXCESS OF] *strict logic*  I
*read* Peirce as exploring the same realm as Merleau-Ponty and
phenomenological experience *knocking a the door and standing THERE. Is the
*imaginal* existing AS HARD FACTS?

Larry