[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance [Language as a form]

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Nov 30 13:29:49 PST 2014

Hi David!

Thank your for that, or those!  :)

Why on earth are artists groundhogs? Why are they not eagles? I see them as eagles perched on mountain sides surveying the terrain from far away, identifying movement in many nooks and crannies below. Then they soar about when they are hungry, perhaps snatching an occasional groundhog for lunch.

See, I would say scientists are groundhogs, um, ok not groundhogs. How about... little dwarves, mining the earth for gold and sundry metals, one scoop at a time?

But this is no invitation for a "war on metaphor" (Try, just try, to say that 10 times fast!)

The juxtaposition of Cubism with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle has to do with being in two places at the same time, depending upon the observer. Isn't this right? So Cubism is about multiple perspectives at the same time. So I don't think this runs against what you propose in terms of abstract objectivism.

I do enjoy your bas-relief pertaining to notions of time and space and how you attribute one to Braque and the other to Duchamp. Certainly these paintings make reference to the notion of appearance and illusion, a topic of immense dimensions on this list as of late.

In Vedic thought there is a Sanskrit word, "mitya." It means "apparent reality" in the sense that we cannot say "nothing exists", while at the same time we cannot say "everything exists". _At the same time_ is a key aspect of the definition of this word. It is there and not there _at once_ in time and space. I love this word.

If this notion of apparent reality can never be negated, then it may suggest why Cartesian science is destined to fail, because it will be an endless task of dividing into smaller and smaller pieces, in search of the basis of all reality. It is likely, with better measuring tools, we will find still smaller and smaller parts, this seems to be the case, anyway.

The Braque and Duchamp paintings illustrate mitya beautifully. Our science has also shown this, but I'm not so sure we've gotten the message. Somewhere there is a disconnect.

These, as forms, are paintings, derived by the artists' ideas about something they each experienced in the world. They are static objects, and yet they suggest a form in the idea without a form in the idea, implying movement and form, fixity and formlessness depending on the painting. Totally awesome!

Vedic thought claims that all that is here are names and forms, ("nama rupa") in a constant dance of change. Since we desire to move forward from that position, even if it is taking one step with the expectation that the earth will be there to meet the one's foot, we must accept this state of being-there-without-being-there. Or without-being-there-being-there, take your pick. This is not an unnatural human activity if we consider it. We do this all the time, casting ourselves into the void, as it were, and then the world catches us by the foot, one step at a time.

Why we don't just fly off the planet boggles my mind.

What this suggests is that rather than make sense of things by seeing static objects (made by parts) from a static point of view (by one person), the method in which we actually _make sense_ of things is to see them as whole-in-themselves in movement past many perspectives. (Just like history!)

This wholeness-in-itself is not by dictat, but by fluid frames that are produced spontaneously in the moment and with the function of recognition, like the way a photographer will frame the photograph and take the picture, which is why "poignance," as a word, is growing on me.

The frame edges are apparent: we know as viewers there is more to the world than what the photo reveals, yet we accept the photograph as a real object standing on its own. The photograph appears to divide the world into squares and rectangles, but does it really? The photograph reveals something subjective, what is in the photographer's mind at the time the shot was taken, because otherwise if it wasn't important the photographer wouldn't have wasted the film, nor bothered to print it. The more photographs the photographer takes slowly reveals a philosophy, with each photograph being a data-point captured of a moment in the apparent world.

I would say this "philosophy building" holds the same for the tintype photographer taking penny portraits as for some of our "master" photographers like Cartier-Bresson or Man Ray. Thus, your mention of Muybridge is certainly apt in many ways!

This hearkens back to your mention of listening to what is there, versus listening for what is there.

But to sum this up, this is my attraction to Vygotsky's unit for analysis. The UOA is a frame, a point of reference –not THE point of reference– upon a single object, and not THE point of reference of the whole, either, but a point of reference for the sole purpose to analyze something for investigation.

As the photographer will investigate the world with her camera. [click!]

Kind regards,

Annalisa