[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance [Language as a form]

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 06:58:24 PST 2014

Annalisa,
I want to follow your thread and link it to my reflection on method and
disposition and also "modes":

My reading that is exploring the notion of *seeing as* as a path/disposition
You wrote:

"He showed us how it was that the themes and work of artists were
precursors to the work of scientific discovery."

 In other words the aesthetic "mode" is "prior" to the scientific "mode".
Another perspective is they share the same images one not prior to the
other.

I want to return to Chris Hackett who is exploring the theme of methods and
modes.

He gives a description of the "transcendental mode" as method:
"The priority of possibility 'higher than actuality', defines the
'metaphysics' of transcendental modes of thought where possibility and
rationality are identified; here, in the domain of metaphysics, abstracted
from existence, and seeking to 'replace' the ever-greater EXCESS of
existence with its own manageable, pre-conceived intelligibility [according
to science as 'tekne'], reason institutes itself as FIRST foundation;
nothing can APPEAR but what reason defines as POSSIBLE." [Hackett, page 65
in Method, Metaphysics, Metaphor]

Annalisa, this quote is Hackett's attempt to situate a particular mode of
reasoning as transcendental and if following this path a transcendental
disposition.

Now I want to bring in a central concept - "image" or appearance that
circulates within this mode of reason. It is Schelling who is exploring the
relation of possibility and actuality.

Here is quote from Chris Hackett developing Hackett's interpretation
of Schelling's reasoning on reason:

"Yet, 'reason' as Schelling pleaded, is not possible as totally
'indifferent' to existence, which is sovereignly free from all subjective
CONSTITUTION, and which already founds the world. Reason requires existence
... for it is only AS AN IMAGE, imbued with the life of existence, bearing
that existence as its primal expression, manifesting the ACT of existence
that things are, that reason WORKS. To the degree that existence EXCEEDS
reason, and therefore, to the degree that reason NEEDS AN IMAGE as *pre*
and *post*-rationally DETERMINATIVE of intelligibility, to that degree
reason is rational"

Annalisa, Chris Hackett is situating both the aesthetic and the scientific
in modes and methods which centrally need IMAGES. [appearances]. These
modes and relations are indicating dispositions towards possibility and
actuality.  A particular mode follows the path of the transcendental and
values *possibility* as a metaphysical path.
Another approach [path] values existence as EXCESS.  What is *excess*
exists within acts of existence, as relational acts.
To the degree that existence EXCEEDS reason, is the degree that reason
NEEDS AN IMAGE [an appearance] as DETERMINATIVE of intelligibility.

The path Chris Hackett is walking is leading to the centrality of tying
meta-phor & meta-physics & meta-hodos [meta-knowledge] into an interpretive
mode situated within questions.

[I was wondering if I should have started a new thread? to post this answer
to Annalisa. It is touching and overlapping previous turns in the
conversation.]