[Xmca-l] Re: risk awareness and aversion in online spaces

Ian O'Byrne wiobyrne@gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 12:30:02 PST 2014

Hi Michael,

Thank you again.

I think it's intriguing for a couple of reasons. One, I think we're still
in between two models in terms of online identity..and cultural norms, etc.
I think it's too early...but alas this is the current state. Second, I
think that the socially constructed identities of "educators" (in this
discussion) change over time. When I was teaching ten years ago....you hid
your Facebook account or you were fired. Now, it's changed...to some
extent. :)

I'm intrigued by how individuals construct and modify their digital
identities using multimodal and social content. I'm interested in the
decisions that they make, and for the most part have been able to focus on
what they build, and look and semiotics behind these decisions. Now, we're
starting to have the more savvy users indicate a consideration of what they
want their digital identity to be...and how that relates to what society
thinks.

Don't get me wrong...this also provides some of our participants with an
opportunity to reject the status quo and create their own identity. This
brings in elements of critical literacy, feminist ideologies, queer
theory,and post-structural perspectives.

We think it's cool stuff...but just trying to unpack it and see if others
are seeing the same. I'll check out the Second Life pieces, and the
Well...especially Howard and Gilly Salmon's work.

Thanks again,
-Ian