[Xmca-l] Re: risk awareness and aversion in online spaces

Ian O'Byrne wiobyrne@gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 11:52:56 PST 2014

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. Specifically, we had teachers creating and sharing
content on Twitter. There tends to be this concern, or awareness with the
teachers that the content that they are sharing is impacting their digital
identity...and also their identity. Our hypothesis is that the more savvy
users are considering this socially constructed identity of an "educator"
and that impacts the content they share online...and how much they share.

We had participants indicate that the content and identity they portrayed
online was either just like their offline identity (or the complete
opposite) as they considered what society wanted educators to be online.
Some accepted this and cleaned up what they shared...others were aware the
potential risk involved...but wanted to be "themselves" and just posted it
anyway.

It's an intriguing mix of identity, identity construction, cultural theory,
hegemony, and the risk piece we're trying to unpack.

Thanks again,
-Ian