[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Nov 26 05:21:26 PST 2014

Huw, don't misunderstand me. By saying "consciousness is an illusion" I
am saying something very positive about it. It is an illusion which
proves more or less adequate for guiding my activity, just as for
example, my rear vision mirror is adequate for guiding my driving,
because I am "educated" about mirrors. It is useful I think to frankly
say that consciousness is an illusion - an illusion with survival value
for humans - because it opens a point of agreement between the
positivists and the psychologists. We both can say "consciousness is an
illusion." OK, let's discuss that.

But consciousness differs from a material process like stimuli-response,
that is, an unmediated relation between an organism and its environment,
between physiology and behaviour. This is what the neuroscientist
typically overlooks. We say "yes, the mediating element is just an
illusion, which is why you can't find it, but hey! it's a very useful
illusion." :)

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/