[Xmca-l] Re: dappled

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Nov 25 18:36:19 PST 2014

David, thank you very much for your patient and extended response to my
question. At the very great risk of even further humiliating myself, I
want to say that you have nonetheless failed to give a satisfactory
response to my enquiry.
Firstly, all the stuff about my name is misplaced. Although there are
several Andy Blundens around, "Andy Blunden" is a proper noun and is
therefore not listed in the dictionary any more than David Kellogg or
Seoul are listed. In the sense in which Vygotsky rightly said "All words
are acts of generalisation" "Andy Blunden" is not a word; its referent
is an specific entity. But in any case, my enquiry was meant to be about
adjectives, not nouns proper or otherwise.
As to "dappled" I was gloriously wrong there, but it was "perished"
which set my mind going  in the first place, and I cast around for other
examples, and our lovely back garden which has far too many trees for
its tiny size reminded me.
But let me try this single instance, which is after all, all I need.
Meaning 2b in the OED of "perished" is "*b.* Of rubber or a similar
material, or an article made from it: having lost its characteristic
elasticity and become weak, sticky, etc." dating from 1922. Admittedly,
meaning 2a is "*a.* Of a material object or organic substance: decayed,
rotted; damaged, in a poor physical state" dating from 1587. So
etymology aside, the writers of the dictionary recognise that in 1922
"perished" was given a new, specific meaning.which generalises only to
the extent that any rubber or rubber-like object may "perish."
So I fully accept that being a word of the kind I am asking about is
never going to be a cut-and-dry matter, but it still seems to me that my
enquiry was not entirely nonsensical. :) It was great how Rod responded,
because the reflections which led me to ask about it was actually that
such words have great literary, rhetorical and poetic potential. The
Gerard Manley Hopkins poem confirmed this in spades, with not only
dappled, but pied, brindle, fallow, freckled.
Perhaps I ought to have phrased my question in terms of adjectives
which, when used, evoke a specific kind of referent, only implicit in
the adjective? Remember in West Wing, when the candidate calls his
opponent "sprightly" - cleverly praising his fitness while reminding us
that he is an old man. That's what I was interested in.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/