[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Tue Nov 25 11:43:09 PST 2014

Heavens, Vera! That really is the $20k question. (Greg will pay whichever of us gets there first!)

I'm in full agreement with your brief statement about this yesterday:

> I just would like to add a postscript to the discussion on consciousness and
> that is that what we experience as adults
> is a developmentally co-constructed process, and that so much of it is the
> consequence of early exchanges. That is why(among
> other reasons) it is so dynamic and open to change. The newborn is not aware
> of a conscious self,but of pain, hunger, comfort,
> all of which, together with eye-motion coordination, add up to  the
> beginnings of consciousness. Or that is how it appears to me.

Martin

On Nov 25, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Vera John-Steiner <vygotsky@unm.edu> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I like your description of consciousness, but I am still struggling with how
> we get there developmentally.
> Vera

>>> a. you drive quite skillfully thinking of the xmca or whatever .
>>> b. You drive while the officer is testing you for certificate .
>>> c. You drive focusing on the manner you are driving with .
>>> Best