[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Vera John-Steiner vygotsky@unm.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:09:49 PST 2014

Martin,

I like your description of consciousness, but I am still struggling with how
we get there developmentally.
Vera
-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
[mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin John Packer
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:40 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Hi Miguel,

I completely agree! When we think about consciousness we tend to focus on
visual perception, but if we close our eyes and allow ourselves to focus on
touch and hearing I think we gain a much clearer sense of the way that
consciousness is an aspect of our way of being in the world, an aspect of
how we live in the world, and how consciousness is a 'reaching out' and
'grasping' in the world in which we live.

Martin

On Nov 25, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Zavala, Miguel
<mizavala@exchange.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> To chime in:
>
> The new born is aware, quite aware. Consciousness does not inhere
> solely in the individual child. It is in the deliberate set of
> practices that bring the child into-the-world, a world that already is
'co-constructed'.
> In Indigenous traditions such as Mayan (Popol Vuh), in the beginning
> there is "sound"--rather than light.  Why isn't consciousness also in
> the ebb and flow of sound, what the being-in-the-world already, pre-
> seeing, becomes?
>
> There might be a tendency in much of our work to privilege light as
> consciousness; but what happens when we "see" things differently.  I
> am reminded of precepts in Liberation Theology, where care for the
> other precedes politics and art (See Enrique Dussel). In other words,
> ethics as primary activity, yes, even prior to "creativity" or
> "reason" as the distance and closing between "subject" and "object".
>
> Miguel
>
> On 11/25/14 4:54 AM, "Haydi Zulfei" <haydizulfei@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vera,
>> Respectfully !
>> 1.  "developmentally co-constructed process" does contain the bigger
>> share of the truth . But...
>> 2. The other side to "The newborn is not awareof a conscious self" is
>> that it is aware of some other things . The problem is with the very
>> 'being aware' for a newborn . It does not seem to be logical . The
>> whole thing Vygosky and his followers tried to do was to put some
>> thing between the two components of the formula Stimulus =====>
>> Response . Else what do we have to answer Vygotsky on his refutation
>> of reflexology , reactology , etc.
>> 3. I think Vygotsky also uses 'feelings' of pain , hunger , comfort ,
>> etc. Are not these 'reflexes' common to both animals and humans ?
>> Having said this , can we put the question "With respect to the
>> genesis (ignoring its being innate) of consciousness , is it a matter
>> of leaps and bounds or gradience ?
>> 4. Then , we are left with "Eye-motion coordination" which takes us
>> to the idea that with so many things we know about the so-called
>> 'intelligence?!' of the animals , birds , etc. , could we specify it
>> to just human beings .
>> 5. I got very pleased with the "add up to  thebeginnings of
>> consciousness" . This helps a lot . But out of Vygotsky's 'emotions'
>> I could not gather exact terms for the points on a continuum if any .
>> amorphous what , intellect , irritability ??
>> 6. If you are so kind to think of this also :
>> a. you drive quite skillfully thinking of the xmca or whatever .
>> b. You drive while the officer is testing you for certificate .
>> c. You drive focusing on the manner you are driving with .
>> Best
>> Haydi

>>> https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/german-ideology/ch0
>>> 1a .htm#A Marx said "My relation to my environment is my