[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Mon Nov 24 17:05:11 PST 2014

I'm not too impressed by Lenin's formula that:

"[T]he sole 'property' of matter with whose recognition philosophical materialism is bound up is the property of being an objective reality, of existing outside our mind." (Lenin, 1972, p.311)

or:

"Thus…the concept of matter…epistemologically implies nothing but objective reality existing independently of the human mind and reflected by it." (p.312)

Lenin had strengths, but in my view philosophy was not one of them. LSV was perhaps being charitable in applying the formula, and perhaps also in the way in which he cited it:

"the only property of matter connected with philosophical materialism, is the property of being an objective reality, of existing outside of our consciousness...  Epistemologically the concept of  matter means *nothing* other than *objective* reality, existing independently from human consciousness and and reflected by it."

For one thing, the formulation is pretty vague. Is it saying that objective reality is what exists even when we are not conscious of it (which I think none of us would deny)? Or is it saying that anything that we *are* conscious of - anything 'inside' consciousness - cannot be, or have, objective reality? That would lead to the conclusion that consciousness is nothing but an illusion - nothing more than looking in a mirror. And this conclusion would seem to lead us right back to paradox - for example, how can we possibly know what is 'outside' our consciousness, if all we know is what is given in consciousness? How can we possible know that there *is* anything outside our consciousness. These are classic undergraduate philosophy conundrums, yet Lenin doesn't seem to have considered them.

So perhaps LSV was being polite to Lenin when he applied his formula. And what did he conclude, on applying it?  This:

"Thus, this formula *seemingly* [original emphasis] contradicts our viewpoint: it cannot be true that consciousness exists outside our consciousness. But, as Plekhanov has correctly established, self-consciousness is the consciousness of consciousness. And consciousness *can* exist without self-consciousness" (Crisis, p. 325).

Say what? Consciousness, LSV argues, is first of all an awareness of *objects*. Only later (as Vera just pointed out), does consciousness become reflexive: one can become conscious of being conscious. In other words, humdrum consciousness can and does "exist outside our consciousness." Consciousness, in LSV's analysis, *satisfies* Lenin's formula. That means that consciousness has 'objective reality.' And it means that consciousness satisfies Lenin's formula defining matter.

Martin