[Xmca-l] Re: Did Vygotsky Ever Finish Anything?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Nov 23 16:40:41 PST 2014

"Psychological tool" is Vygotsky's formulation, David (unless we are
victims of translators/editors):
https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1930/instrumental.htm
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1929/defectology/

I think you are correct that the distinction between what Vygotsky calls
"psychological tools" and "technical tools" is superficially a
functional one (and not according to properties) and fundamentally a
genetic one. The distinction between "sign-mediated actions" and
"tool-mediated" actions is also superficially functional and
fundamentally genetic. But this distinction includes the mutual
imbrication of both in each others' genesis. Just as thinking and
speaking are inextricably linked in their genesis as described in
Thinking and Speech. We would not equate thinking and speaking, and a
category which includes both thinking and speaking (? discourse,
theorising) would have that danger inherent in it, and ideas like
"thinking is speaking to oneself" have a genetic and not a categorical
meaning ... I mention all these points only to say that the issue around
the sign/tool and word/action distinctions are not unique. It is all
about the genetic relation between categories. I think there is hardly a
distinction in this body of theory which does not raise these issues.

I certainly intend to go on using the terms "mediation" and "artefact"
but with sensivitity to the issues contained in these words.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/