[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Nov 22 17:52:53 PST 2014

When I learnt "Marxist Psychology" in the 1970s, many years before a
friend kindly gave me a photocopy of "Thought and Language" (as it was
called) in about 1997, it went something like this: human beings
objectify their powers, e.g., the hand is objectified in the stone axe,
etc., and then these human powers are perceived as objectively existing
things, reflected in the mind as concepts, etc., etc., and on this basis
one builds a kind of anthropology of labour. When I read Thinking and
Speech, obviously my mind was thrown into turmoil. Here was a *far* more
productive approach to understanding psychology.

So I gather that when Vygotsky is making a big deal of the distinction
between word and action and between sign and tool (and other mediating
elements) he is doing so under conditions where the dominant view was
that signs are a subordinate *type* of tool, a derivative of tool.

As you have no doubt observed with your keen eye, David, I have lately
become much more sensitive to relation between tool and sign and the
inherent dangers which flow from using a category like "artefact" in
which the two are lumped together. But as you know, in this connection
Vygotsky also said: "With full justification, Hegel used the concept of
mediation in its most general meaning, seeing in it the most
characteristic property of the mind."

You also know that I come to Vygotsky from Hegel and Marx and that my
specific interest is in an interdisciplinary theory of activity, not
psychology or linguistics. So for my specific interest, so long as I
understand the relation of word-use to action in the nuanced sense in
which Vygotsky it in that section "Word and Action", that is, the
complex genetic relation between the development of means of acting on
matter and means of acting on mind, as opposed to the simple and
erroneous typology which may be implied in the category of "artefact" or
in the anthropology of labour, I can work across a wide,
interdisciplinary field using Vygotsky's ideas. The interconnection of
politics and social class (for example) necessarily entails all kinds of
artefact mediation.

Now David, you doubtless have a view on why it was wrong to entitle
Vygotsky's book "Thought and Language." As I see it words (i.e.,
uttering stuff when you speak) as what people *do*, that is, are
actions, and Thinking and Speech needs to be read in that sense, as
opposed to considerations of the contents of a dictionary. (Like
everything else, I am making a distinction not a dichotomy here). And
also, it is important as I see it to understand that words (those little
packets of sound) are material objects and in that specific sense a part
of the whole material culture of a people. All I am saying is that while
the distinction between word and action, and between sign and tool, is
every bit as important as the distinction between action and activity or
any other such distinction, the relation between them is also fruitful.
But the unit of analysis Vygotsky uses in "Thinking and Speech" is not
artefact mediation, it is word-meaning. That has never been at issue.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/