[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Fri Nov 21 09:59:22 PST 2014

Larry,

Thanks for joining my word game! I hope others are inspired to play. As we all know the function of play in zopeds. :)

I would like to ask for you to make for me your connections to what I proposed more explicitly so there is no room for my misinterpretation. I think I see connections, but rather than implied, I'd like to see them more explicitly.

Thanks as well for offering a paper for reference, I will attempt to hunt it down. But yes, agency and subjectivity are themes of interest to me, so these notions you have introduced to this thread certainly fall into that pocket.

One surface-thought I have is that Schopenhauer studied the Upanishads, and it would not surprise me if he appropriated concepts from them. It is hard not to do because the texts are ripe with relevance, which I mean abstractly and to no specific experience. It is on my to-do list to read Schopenhauer to understand what he actually lifted and whether it was done correctly. I suspect it was not, given his interpretation of women's minds.

There is so much in your email that I'm sure I will have to read it a few times to really wring out the meaning. So if I am firstness and you are secondness, is your post thirdness? :)

I'm not quite clear about the notion of "subsumption." Where does the word, as used, come from? Champagne? Peirce? Schopenhauer? or Merriam-Webster?

This circle of mind, body, world is interesting too. It reminds me of Heidegger's Hermeneutic circle, which I find reminiscent of Vygotsky's everyday and scientific concepts.

You have added to my rising curiosity, if there are connections there. Thank you for adding to my quest[tion]!

If I am understanding what you are saying, I think I agree that realization is the moment one recognizes the connectedness of things, there is an appearance of this being an event to the individual (the aha-moment), but that connectedness was always there, just not in the mind, which was in a state of ignorance. This dynamic is explained by how knowledge in the mind reflects knowledge in the world, but this presumes a different definition of knowledge than is considered in academic circles, I believe.

Et voilá, now I've taken a big dive into epistemology that may not be welcome here.

I guess it just depends on how much meaning, or systems of meaning, means to you! :)

Kind regards,

Annalisa