[Xmca-l] Re: Higher Mental Functions

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 20 17:36:20 PST 2014

Yes, this is something that all of us should keep in mind.
mike

" the relationship
between tools and signs is that they both belong to a logical
category, mediating activity, but their precise structural, functional
and genetic relationship has to be worked out.
​"

mike​

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Thanks David. That sounds like it. I knew I could rely on you. :)
> 'Twas a popular idea. Hegel said "speech is the tool of reason".
> https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/se/ch01.htm
> Andy
> *Andy Blunden*
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
>

> David Kellogg wrote:
>
>> Andy:
>>
>> Take a look at the end of Chapter Two, the Research Method Chapter,
>> pp. 60-62 in the English Collected Works. It's not that he objects to
>> the term "artifacts"; he doesn't use the term. It's that he objects to
>> the analogy between them being reduced to an identity, and on this
>> basis does not agree that "language is a tool of thinking" or that
>> language is an 'auxiliary device of memory". He also objects to
>> Dewey's phrase that language is a "tool of tools", and points out that
>> it is a bad paraphrase of Aristotle. He says that the relationship
>> between tools and signs is that they both belong to a logical
>> category, mediating activity, but their precise structural, functional
>> and genetic relationship has to be worked out.
>>
>> David Kellogg
>> Hankuk Univeristy of Foreign Studies.
>>
>> On 18 November 2014 19:32, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>>

>>> For those of you who rely on marxists.org for their Vygotsky reading, I
>>> have
>>> scanned a couple more chapters from Volume 4 of the LSVCW today:
>>> http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1931/research-method.htm
>>> http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1931/
>>> analysis-higher-mental-functions.htm
>>>
>>> I was looking for material where Vygotsky discusses the relation between
>>> sign-mediation and tool-mediation (and other types of mediation!) and
>>> these
>>> chapters seemed to be necessary. I could not find the passage where he
>>> expresses some antipathy to calling both signs and tools "artefacts". I
>>> was
>>> sure I read this somewhere. Can anyone recall where that could have been?
>>>
>>> Andy
>>> --
>>> *Andy Blunden*
>>> http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.