[Xmca-l] Re: Higher Mental Functions

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 12:36:16 PST 2014

Andy:

Take a look at the end of Chapter Two, the Research Method Chapter,
pp. 60-62 in the English Collected Works. It's not that he objects to
the term "artifacts"; he doesn't use the term. It's that he objects to
the analogy between them being reduced to an identity, and on this
basis does not agree that "language is a tool of thinking" or that
language is an 'auxiliary device of memory". He also objects to
Dewey's phrase that language is a "tool of tools", and points out that
it is a bad paraphrase of Aristotle. He says that the relationship
between tools and signs is that they both belong to a logical
category, mediating activity, but their precise structural, functional
and genetic relationship has to be worked out.

David Kellogg
Hankuk Univeristy of Foreign Studies.