[Xmca-l] Re: FW: grosholz

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sun Nov 9 16:05:31 PST 2014

Thanks

Yes, Wiles is a nice example of doing mathematics within a historical dimension.One part of the article bothered me when the author averred that Fermat would need to pick up the centuries between. Interestingly that is not what a student of mathematics who was born today would 'need' to do to enter the conversation.

 I was listening to a presentation, you might say, on the 'true but unprovable'  (in the sense of Godel) by John Conway and he kept saying "I don't know if this is true, but …"; "I don't have a proof, but …" It was a serious mathematical presentation.

Ed Wall