[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Sun Nov 9 07:04:17 PST 2014

The focus of this thread on "objectivity of mathematics" seems to be making a shift from what do we mean by "mathematics" to what do we mean by "objective."
But despite the prior focus, I'm not recalling anyone ever explicating what specific construction of mathematics is being discussed.
At the risk of stating what already is obvious to the discussants, here is a brief historical sketch of what "mathematics" has meant (according to my meager knowledge of it).

A) Prior to the Greeks, mathematics was an empirical domain; the circumference of a circle was about three times the diameter, because that's what measurement showed.

B) In the time of Thales, Pythagoras, and Euclid, the methodology changed. Starting from self-evident truths about the world (axioms and postulates), logic replaced empirical verification as the adjudicator of new mathematical knowledge. In this respect, mathematics is unlike natural sciences in which the empirical world adjudicates new knowledge through experimentation.

C) The methodology started to change again around 1830 in connection with Lobachevsky and Bolyai revisiting of Euclid's parallel postulate. This began the decoupling of axioms and postulates from the world, their primary virtue being self-consistency; all this leading to the formalist and logicist constructions of mathematics as determined solely by the internal relations of aspects of its discourse.

Of course, history does not erase the past. When a young child discovers empirically that starting with one quantity and adding another reliably produces the same result as starting with the second quantity and adding the first, she or he is still doing and learning mathematics. So, I wonder if the dispute in this thread simply reflects different participants focusing in on different aspects of this historically still evolving human practice of mathematics.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of anna sfard
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2014 7:50 AM
To: ablunden@mira.net; 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

I'm happy to agree with you, Andy. As I do with Martin. I think the two of you are on the same page, more or less, but get distracted by subtleties of word use. For instance, none of you said explicitly what is the category of things to which the adjective "objective" can be applied. Words or worlds?
Being explicit on this point may help (as it helped me to understand that I have no use for this word, and this does not mean that I deny the existence of the/a "real world") anna