[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

anna sfard sfard@netvision.net.il
Sun Nov 9 04:54:37 PST 2014

No, Andy, I don’t think this was, or should be, said. I apologize in advance
for quoting myself, but it would be too much to try to say things anew in
the middle of work on an all different text:

"mathematical communication apparently reverses the developmental order
known from ‎colloquial discourses: whereas these latter discourses are
created for the sake of ‎communication about physical reality, in
mathematical discourse objects are created for ‎the sake of communication.
True, also mathematical communication is supposed, ‎eventually, to mediate
practical activities, and thus to pertain, in one way or another to the
‎world of primary objects that predate the discourse. However, this fact may
easily escape ‎one’s attention. The realization trees of mathematical
signifiers [for the sake of the present conversation, you may replace the
"realization trees" with "chains of signification"], although likely to have
‎primary objects or processes on such objects at their basis, may be too
rich and complex ‎to be embraced at a glance. Leaving the concrete
foundations of such trees temporarily out of sight ‎may thus be the
condition for the proficiency of mathematical communication.‎"

Xmca-ing is addictive!

anna