[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Nov 9 00:52:52 PST 2014

Nice to meet you xmca, Luis.
The claim: "the question of objectivity can only be asked and
investigated within what Foucault used to call a regime of truth" is
what is at issue here. This is not actually something which can be
decided by questions of cultural psychology. Of course, Uzbekh peasants
and Papuan tribespeople find syllogistic logic and mathematical
abstractions senseless. Of course, mathematical concepts develop along
with industry. All this is known to xmca-ers. It is not a question of
whether mathematics is a cultural construct (or social convention) but
whether it is *only* such a convention. Of course it is an historical
accident that the decimal system of number is used in arithmetic and
Roman letters in algebra, and that so much of mathematics is elaborated
through equations, but this is not the point, is it? Is there really
*nothing* outside the text?
My claim is that it is both a "social convention" (since we have adopted
this term here) *and* a natural science. And *in that sense* it is like
any other natural science. Mathematics differs from the other natural
sciences in many respects, but in the fundamentals it is the same. If
natural science is *nothing but* a set of social conventions, then so is
mathematics.
Do you want to make that claim, Luis?
You note that: "Mikhailov is not saying that we invented ex nihilo the
idea of the sun as something round." Not *ex nihilo*. So I guess we
agree, yes?

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/