[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 8 17:44:00 PST 2014

My impression is that, for me at least, the conversation about
objectivities and conventions as been helpful in focusing my thoughts on
the issue. I have not resolved the apparent, residual uncertainties or
contradictions that seem to be at issue.

Julian, might I start here, and get help with a next step:

*"Thus, the objectivity of the rules of mathematics (as with logic) rest
ultimately on the validity of the social practices that ensure maths a
wider validity, beyond the conventions of the clique of mathematicians who
run the discipline. Thus the discipline is itself disciplined."*

It seems to me that a lot is riding on the interpretation of the property
you call validity. It seems to me that the process of validation itself,
passim science studies, needs to be considered here. At some point, it
seems to me that validity means something very much like "useful" and
useful as "surplus value."  It would come very close to pragmatic
experimentalism, as close as the phenomena in question allow such a parsing.

So how are we to interpret, validity, in your formulation, which I am very
interested in?
mike

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.