[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

Julian Williams julian.williams@manchester.ac.uk
Sat Nov 8 14:55:58 PST 2014

Dear all

I'm struggling to keep up here... Surely I didn't hear Andy Blunden say that 'objectivity' implies stuff that can't be transformed? I'm sure I must have misremembered that!.?

My feeble understanding of activity is that it involves transformations of (material and other) objects... In order to meet collective and individual human needs.

Ok, Marx says such activity also thereby generates new human needs...

Mathemattics is being confrnted, criticised and transformed all the time ?  I hope this includes being critically subjected to practice, where it might be confronted by some objective, even material facts and 'firstness' (even the CIA found they could not walk through walls) or thirdnesses ( the naive practices of infants who claim that 7 and4 makes 10 sometimes... And surely they are right).

In particular, the Maths involved in early years may be confronted with the objective social practice of measurement ( Davydov)... This provides an objective basis for mathematics, which when symbolised in discursive forms ensures a degree of objectivity (not just social convention) for mathematics discourse itself.

Thus, the objectivity of the rules of mathematics (as with logic) rest ultimately on the validity of the social practices that ensure maths a wider validity, beyond the conventions of the clique of mathematicians who run the discipline. Thus the discipline is itself disciplined.

 Vygotsky cites Lenin re Hegels logic:

".. The practical activity of man had to lead his consciousness to  () the significance of axioms... "

I hope the relevance to objectivity and Davydov makes sense.

Julian