[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 12:27:22 PST 2014

Hi Anna,

I think with that clarification about how you're referring to discourse the
point may be put more simply.  That is, that memories derived from
non-discursive actions contribute towards thinking and these memories are
not discursive (although they could be made to be discursive in a limited
manner).

For me, the distinction between when something is or isn't discursive isn't
a big deal.  But if you're presenting a sense of mathematical competence
upon discourse, then it becomes more important to demonstrate that
discourse offers a sufficient explanation.  Personally, I would see
discourse as a plane, and the kinds of mathematical knowledge being
referred to as often traversing through that plane.  That would mean that
discourse contributes to specific links in that genetic development, but
that discourse was not the source of that genesis, but that, however, the
social situations established through discourse may promote such
development and that interesting event that are non-discursive may be
reported discursively.  Those circumstances could give the illusion that it
was all happening discursively.

Best,
Huw