[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Fri Nov 7 04:31:54 PST 2014

Hola Anna,

Well, here's our summary of your position at the time. Did we get it right?

            Sfard (1998) also gives an account of mathematics that can be called postmodern. She recounts how the search for the elusive referents of mathematical discourse motivated reconceptualizations of this relationship – the move from realism to constructivism, and then the abandonment of the classic dichotomy of symbol/referent in favor of interactionist views of symbols and meaning, such as the semiotics of Saussure and Peirce. Sfard builds on “Foucault’s central claim that the objects ‘referred to’ by symbols, far from being primary to signs and speech acts, are an added value (or the emergent phenomenon) of the discursive activity. This is particularly true for the evanescent objects of mathematics” (p. 14). The “central theme” of her paper is “[t]he process through which the objects ‘represented’ by the symbols come into being retroactively” (p. 15). She suggests that discourse about mathematical referents is “Virtual Reality discourse” rather than “Actual Reality discourse,” a metaphor that “conveys a message as to the particular rights and obligations the mathematical discourse confers upon the participants.... Those who really wish to communicate, not being able to help themselves with their senses, have to use all their mental faculties in an attempt to reconstruct for themselves the realm within which the moves of their interloctors make sense” (p. 2). The task that faces us when we seek to understand mathematics, as she sees it, “consists of not – or no longer – treating discourses as groups of signs (signifying elements referring to contents or representations) but as practices that systematically form the objects of which they speak” (Foucault, 1969/1992, p. 40, emphasis added by Sfard).

Martin