[Xmca-l] Re: Jan Blommaert - Meaning as a non-linear phenomena

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 22:21:19 PST 2014

Greg,
I enjoyed the article "Translatability and the Uses of Standardization"
using the format of a conversation between Michael Silverstein, Jef Van der
Aa, and Jan Blommaert. I agree it is exploring the same themes explored by
Raymond Williams as the relation of fixidity and fluidity.
I will highlight the point being explored on page 2 in Jef's phrase
"SO preceding the idea of language AS a cultural construct, there was an
idea that one could elicit things directly."
Jef's answer came after this exchange from Michael:  ".... - certainly not
semiotic objects - and they are not obviously just inter-translatable at
some kind of metalinguistic level which we can assume that everybody has.
SO if you don't have a notion of what we now call the semanticity of
language, AS A CONCEPTUAL SYSTEM, that's applied to the world as it were
...."

To repeat, Jef completes Michael's thought with his response:
"SO preceding THAT idea of language AS a cultural construct, there was an
idea that one could elicit things explicitly"[elicit things contextually -
LP]

Jan Blommaert jumps in to the conversation with this observation of the
contextual prior to the conceptual when he comments:

"SO when you [Michael] say that you had to change the culture of these
local people, you changed it by means of another culture, and you already
hinted that it's a culture in which we ASSUME from within our tradition
that this denotational STRUCTURE is the structure of language. And also
this idea of translatability, SO, you, I almost everyone here at this
conference has been trained in A SYSTEM in which we had to translate all
the time. So, say the stock, the books in our bags, every day at school
included a dictionary and a grammar. SO we ASSUME that this is universal.

Michael jumps in at this point with the comment:
"Instruments of oppression! - they are, you know.

Greg, on the one hand is the SYSTEM of language as understanding as
performance, [a system of praxis] and on the other hand *understanding* is
transformed in the philosophical SYSTEM that Michael, Jef and Jan are
talking about [the system of conceptual translatability]

So the contrast between "contextual" and "conceptual" SYSTEMS that Rod was
describing.

Then Michael makes a fascinating comment:
The more you look at Hindu theories of use of language, you are see that
what you are talking about IS a SYSTEM of praxis, i.e. it's all about
performativity"

The key seems to be different notions of *understanding* and what is meant
by the term [languaging]

I do see that this ties in with Raymond Williams notion of *structures of
feeling* and John Shotter's dialogical contextual notion of speech
performance
Larry