[Xmca-l] Re: 2 questions on "the self" in culture, neuroscience and education

Shirin Vossoughi shirinvossoughi@gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 08:56:30 PST 2014

Hi Samuel,

On the 2nd question, two articles came to mind. One by Matusov on
internalization vs. participation models of development, which also
addresses some of the historical and cultural context of various approaches
to learning. And one by Biesta which critiques what he calls the
"learnification" of education as getting away from questions of purpose,
values and relationships. Both are attached.

I have been thinking about some of these issues in relation to current
constructionist/constructivist responses to didactic, teacher centered
models, which I think re-center the individual in both generative and
problematic ways, and tend to understate the role of pedagogy/mediation.
I'd be interested in discussing these issues and articles further.

Shirin