[Xmca-l] Re: Objectivity of mathematics

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Nov 3 20:45:56 PST 2014

Particularly after reading Peter Moxhays' paper, it is clear to me that
teaching mathematics, Davydov-style, is orchestrating concept-formation
in a particular domain of activity, and that what the children are doing
in forming a concept is a system of artefact-mediated actions: "For
Davydov," he says, "a theoretical concept is itself a /general method of
acting/ - a method for solving an entire class of problems - and is
related to a whole system of object-oriented actions." Pure Vygotsky,
and also equally pure Activity Theory except that here the object
becomes a "theoretical concept," which is characteristically Vygotsky,
the point of difference between ANL and LSV! Just as in all those dual
stimulation experiments of Vygotsky, the teacher introduces a symbol
which the student can use to solve the task they are working on.
So the unit of learning mathematics is *an artefact-mediated action*.
The artefact is introduced by the teacher who also sets up the task. At
first the symbols is a means of solving the material task, but later,
the symbol is manipulated for its own sake, and the material task
remains in the background. This is what is special about mathematics I
think, that the symbolic operation begins as means and becomes the
object. C.f. Capital: the unit is initially C-C' becomes C-M-C' and then
from this arises M-C-M' - the unit of capital.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/