[Xmca-l] Re: Davydov mathematics

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:53:03 PST 2014

On 3 November 2014 21:16, Ed Wall <ewall@umich.edu> wrote:

> Huw
>
>       I am interested infer instance, thinking about the difference
> between mathematics and physics. 'Meaningful quantification' or 'meaningful
> activity' seems to be too large a label to detect differences. That is, one
> aspect of a 'unit of analysis', as I have gleaned from the conversation on
> the list, its minimality. Hmm. perhaps I need to ask what do you mean as
> regards 'quantification' re the mathematical?

I mean that an understanding of number is concomitant with competence in
the application of units of measure.  That number is derived from
measuring.  But not just any old measuring, measuring that solves a
meaningful problem.

The Moxhay paper that Natalia sent covers some of this.

I don't think a label is used to detect any differences at all, which is
why I called it a label.  Your unit of analysis will depend upon what
processes you're studying.  If you want to study how students construe a
situation in order to undertake a task, then it makes sense to study their
competence at that task over time via, for example, an analysis of how they
construe and structure that task.

Best,
Huw