[Xmca-l] Re: [Xcma-l] In Defense of Vygotsky [Perezhivanie cannot determine the personality]

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Mon Nov 3 14:58:20 PST 2014

> meaning is what distinguishes us as human and not machine or animal
Except that some of the higher animals can learn words and their meanings. It's syntax they lack.

Also, whereas "word-meaning" has some formal properties that may make it suitable as a unit of analysis, it's not clear that all meaning is tied to words, or even to language; cognitive scientists talk of imagistic meaning, etc. Perhaps the branching off to activity theory was in part a rejection of having something as formless as meaning as a unit of analysis.

David