[Xmca-l] Re: L2

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Mon Nov 3 09:40:58 PST 2014

Perhaps, Martin, these two articles are supportive of your interests.

phillip

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co>
Sent: Monday, November 3, 2014 10:00 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: L2

On Nov 3, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com> wrote:

> SCT in Language Learning doesn't even get to the Inner Speech area as far
> as I know.  That would be LSV pure and uadulterated.

On the contrary, I'm finding a variety of treatments... for example:

De Guerrero, M. C. M. (2006). Inner speech-L2: Thinking words in a second language. Springer.

McCafferty, S. G. (1998). Nonverbal Expression and L2 Private Speech. Applied Linguistics, 19(1), 73-96.

As I mentioned in my first message in this thread I find SC studies of L2 inner speech an interesting topic, because it is exploring the way that L2 can enter - and transform? - the higher psychological functions. As a native English speaker living and working in a country in which Spanish is the dominant language, I am very aware that my higher psychological functions are not as adequate when I'm using Spanish as they are when I use English, but also that the balance is changing. It's one thing (though difficult!) to *speak* fluently in a second language, it's another to *think* fluently in that language. So this seems to me where the SC approach to L2 is exploring something new.

Martin