[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sun Nov 2 12:03:00 PST 2014

Peg

      By ''formal arithmetic' I mean the usual US curriculum to which you refer to below; I wasn't talking about 'formal mathematics' when I mentioned Benezet. The point Devlin makes (and I'm not sure I entirely agree) is that the Davydov curriculum is about real number versus counting number. While Devlin and I both have problems with the usual US curriculum it is not entirely evident mathematically why one approach (counting number versus real number) is better than the other.

       I am confused by the statement below concerning an example you gave 'earlier about US fourth graders.' The only example I remember was the one using the Davydov approach with participants Alyosha and Borja.

       I would appreciate it if you would say a bit more about why "I don't know" is a 'mathematically' correct and 'impersonal'  answer in some 'little systems.' I would tend to think otherwise about "We can't know.' in some little (and some large) systems; however, I may misunderstand.

Ed