[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Tvmathdude tvmathdude@aol.com
Sat Nov 1 22:05:48 PDT 2014

Andy,

You have identified the real problem in much of what is taught as mathematics. When I look at curriculum in schools or colleges, nowhere do I see "create an environment where the student asks "what if?" The study of Geometry lends itself to this kind of approach, but schools and colleges are more focused on "right" answers, than deviations from the norm.Yes, there is a very small percentage of the student population who do this on their own, but why can't we look to provide an opportunity for "mindful mathematics" rather than "rote learning" for a majority of the students? Are we locked into "social convention"?

All of our assessments of learning are about right and wrong, none are about "what do you think about this"?

Dr. DeBono took at look at thought when he described a process called "po-ing" (sp?), which is based on "what if".

Look at Project Zero out of Harvard. This is a real effort to encourage student thought. Legislatures seem so hung-up on accountability, but have no vision of what learning can be.

I teach College Algebra to student right out of high-school. They are obsessed with "tell me what I need to know for the test".

When, after kindergarten, do students get to "explore and discover"?

Teaching is my passion. NLP is my tool set. I work very hard to open students minds to question and "play with" ideas, even when they don't realize they are doing it.

It is great to expand this discussion, but how do we help the student?

Roger