[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Nov 1 16:11:53 PDT 2014

Phew! So I was not the only one mystified by that expression. However,
wouldn't the kids have been confused by it as well? Or would they react
by saying: "Hey, Teacher! That's stupid!"?
But certainly making the move to using letters only when the children
are reaching out for some more convenient symbol seems the right way to
go. I used to teach the first lesson in algebra by playing "Think of a
number, double it,  ..., what's the number he first thought of?" with a
classroom of kids and then introducing x for the number you first
thought of. Vygotsky tells us to provide the symbol as a means of
solving an existing problem.
How did Davydov make the move from numbers to x?

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/