[Xmca-l] Re: Word and Act

Haydi Zulfei haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Sat Nov 1 04:47:12 PDT 2014

Dear Larry
Morally I was bound to answer . I wonder if dear folk have more nerves to consume ! I got happy you announced this to be , for the time being , the last exchange ! Thank you and everybody else !
I fear losing the post again . Therefore , deepest apologies for the attachment !
Best
Haydi

________________________________
 From: ‪Larry Purss‬ ‪<lpscholar2@gmail.com>‬
To: ‪Haydi Zulfei‬ ‪<haydizulfei@rocketmail.com>‬; ‪"eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"‬ ‪<xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>‬
Sent: Friday, 31 October 2014, 23:59:33
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Word and Act

Haydi,
Once again thank you for your thoughtful [and informative] reply.
It is an amazingly complex undertaking to explore the relations of word and activity and how the relations between these aspects as a *unity* should forever be engaged. As you mention, Leontiev calls our attention and focus to the centrality of the *objects* [the material] as fundamental to any understanding of human *nature*
I seem to be drawn to not forgetting the subjective aspects of the *unity*.

Wertsch uses the notion of *mediated action* as his attempt to find a term that bridges dialectical methods and dialogical methods within activity as a unity.
Haydi, I have to admit when I read Andy, Martin, and David Kellogg I find myself seeing the *reasonableness* of each position as if there is a unity which embraces their subject matter, and each of these scholars is exploring a different aspect of our human *nature*.

I continue to be nourished by the contrasts and I let myself move between their positions and realize they are operating from different *traditions*

Vygotsky's book "Thought and Language* seems to be the book that each of them returns to but each enters the SAME book from different backgrounds.
This leaves me personally fascinated with the recognition of the transformative power of the activity of *reading*.
I am trying to follow each of their understandings and I realize to do this I must enter into the *traditions* that each author brings to Vygotsky.
Their arguments are very subtle and nuanced and I am often confused by their differences.
I do accept that the particular time and place that the cultural-historical and activity models were being developed was a transformative time and their love for their country illuminated all their work.
I also understand that I come to this historically formed work from out of a *humanistic psychology* background [counselling psychology] and this particular tradition makes it difficult to enter a radically alternative worldview that radically puts into question the foundations of humanistic psychology.

When confused I do return to Vygotsky's book *thought and language* to get re-grounded on the central thesis of interfunctional relations that are developmentally transformed as speech transforms from a focus on communication to an additional focus on self-mastery.
It remain an open question to myself the particular relations between self-mastery and social communication. Mike Cole's description of his thought processes while driving in the car.

Haydi, I am also trying to understand the place of the *figural* and perception within activity and language and this complicates things further.  I do want to explore the connections between perception, concepts, and activity and you may notice my responses recently tending towards the figural and the notion of *schemas* that are possibly pre-linguistic. When I am looking closely at the *figural* I am inevitably loosing focus [at that moment] on activity or the word as central. However it is the *unity* of all three aspects I am attempting to hold together over time.

Haydi, I appreciate your reminding me not to loose focus on activity as I try to follow David Kellogg or Martin.  Andy attempting to expand activity as a psychological methodology to the social sciences I also am trying to understand.
At some point I also want to understand Marx [the philosopher] and his theory of *labour* AS ONTOLOGICAL [as *being*]  Is there a unity within the concept of *labour* that Marx shares with Heidegger and Vygotsky?  These are vague, fuzzy questions.
Haydi, the central theme of *sign* as *indicating* is where I will leave our conversation. Your being a referee calls be back to the truth of activity, action, and operations. You are *signalling* and I am listening. THIS movement is what I find magical leaving me with more to *figure* out.
Larry

Dear Larry