[Xmca-l] Re: discussing "Posing the question"

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue May 27 14:44:45 PDT 2014

Well, first of all, I hasten to emphasize that the book is in Korean. I
really just wanted people to look at the cover, rather the way that a
museum curator wants the visitors to look at paintings. The cover, to me,
expresses the key problem.

It's this. When we confront children with works of art, they are faced with
cultural artefacts that are saturated in history, replete with cultural
experience and super-productive in terms of their actual and above all
their potential meaning. In order to develop the child's own imagination,
the child must somehow master these means of creativity. How can that
happen without the superproductivity of the cultural artefact drowning out
the relatively short memory, the relatively poor experience, and the
relatively concrete imagination of the child?

Let me put it another way. We know that the chld masters a cultural
artefact such as speech is by "internalizing" word meanings. But we
sometimes imagine this process as a magical one, a little like swallowing a
pill. The child digests the sugar-coating of the phonology and somehow
assimilates the history, cultural experience, and meaning potential which
is somehow "embedded" in the word. When we actually study the process of
internalizing a word meaning as it occurs (say, in classroom discourse), we
find that the process is not at all like digestion; it is much more like
what the kids are doing in your museum data. The real task is not to
"assimilate" history, cultural experience and meaning potential but rather
to reimagine and even imaginatively recreate them. The child cannot really
do this: history is too long and life is too short; words are too
productive and child memories too restricted; the grammatical system itself
can say far more than any of us can ever hope to mean. And very often, when
children seek nonverbal means for expression (e.g. posing, or even
painting) it is an act of alienation, isolation, and despair. For example,
many of the pictures I have seen on Flickr of people posing with great
works of art are clearly parodistic rather than genuinely understanding,
and the child sometimes seems to be parodying him or herself rather than
the painting.

The distinction I see between depiction and mimesis is slightly different
from yours. Imagine I want to tell the story of Little Red Riding Hood. I
can "become" the wolf, by making my hands like claws, and of course this is
a mimetic gesture; I am placing myself INSIDE the story as the wolf. I am
ready to address Little Red Riding Hood in all my lupine splendour.
Alternatively, I can depict the wolf by using one hand as a shadow puppet,
with my thumb as the wolf's ear, and a jaunty pinkie finger as the wolf's
gaping jaw. When I do this, I am placing myself at arm's length from the
wolf, and my position is not that of a character but that of a
story-teller. So I think that depictive gestures are NARRATIVISTIC rather
than dialogic, and mimetic ones are DIALOGIC rather than narrativistic.

In your article, you point out that the process of understanding a work of
art is not the simple "going out and coming back" from the one's own
viewpoint to that of the artwork that Bakhtin assumes in "Art and
Answerability". Instead, there are many moments: pose, comparison, focus,
and adjustment. But you also point out that all of these moments have
something in common. They all involve turning the position of the viewer
and the viewed around--the self-directed becomes other-directed and vice
versa. In verbal art, the way this happens is that the narrative becomes
dialogue (e.g. in Shakespeare, repartee becomes soliloquy). But in visual
art the viewpoints are more akin to depiction and mimesis.

One more question. Bakhtin claims that ALL self-portraits look astonished,
because the artist is surprised at the difference between just looking in a
mirror and actually trying to overcome the "surplus of seeing", the
intrinsic inability of every artist to get to the parts of the self that
are actually visible to everybody else on a daily basis. One obvious way
this happens is when the artist tries to overcome the left-right problem
and portray his or herself as others actually see him or her rather than
the way that she or he appears in a mirror. This must have occurred to
Munch when he tried to show himself holding a cigarette in his right hand,
and it kept appearing in his left. Is there any suggestion of this
astonishment anywhere in the data?

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
.