[Xmca-l] Re: discussing "Posing the question"

Rolf Steier rolf.steier@intermedia.uio.no
Tue May 27 06:22:25 PDT 2014

Hi Huw,

You raise some really interesting questions that I hope others can comment
on as well. I would say that “making” and “discovering” as you put it are
very much related as processes. It might be that features of the artifact
are discovered and then in combination contribute to an interpretation
(making) of meaning of the artifact. We could argue that a feature of the
artifact (the pose of a figure in a painting) is discovered as being
relevant and implying some intended meaning - but that the realization of
this meaning is made by the participants. The notion of “testing” is also
worth exploring more I think. For me, “testing” is related to Schön’s
notion of “reflection in action.” The testing of a pose isn’t necessarily
discovering a fixed meaning, but exploring the implications of taking that
pose.

Here I have pasted the section that mentions testing on p 161 in case
others have thoughts on this:

As the interaction unfolds, we see Sara mimic the gesture of Mari in Panel
> 3, seemingly in an attempt to join Mari’s interpretive process. Sara
> doesn’t simply accept Mari’s suggestion; she performs the gesture seemingly
> to test the gesture as a representation of “speech.” This testing may serve
> as another conceptual gesture (Streeck, 2009b) to internalize this
> particular expla- nation. In this instance, Sara’s gesture is functioning
> simultaneously as a part of her cognitive process but also as a
> demonstration to Mari that she acknowledges Mari’s suggestion.

I’m also glad that you asked about this relationship between internal and
external, because this is a theme I would love to explore further. I agree
that participants are absolutely bringing experiences to the scene- though
the roles of these types of experiences are more difficult to interpret
with this kind of analysis. For me, this internal/external relationship is
more about how one “discovered” interpretation becomes both publicly shared
and individually evaluated through bodily action. This is definitely a
topic I would like to explore more so I hope others can chime in.

best,
Rolf