[Xmca-l] Re: discussing "Posing the question"

Rolf Steier rolf.steier@intermedia.uio.no
Tue May 27 06:14:01 PDT 2014

Hello David,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your book as well.

You noted that you found the idea of young people posing for Flickr a
little depressing - and I can certainly understand this. Not to add to this
depression, but remember that few young people even visit museums at all
outside of school visits! I don’t think that ‘flickr’ was a particularly
large motivator in the end. The most surprising finding that led to this
study was that visitors “pose” naturally. Many many people when approaching
Munch’s “The Scream” would bring their hands to their faces to “scream” as
a part of normal museum practice. I think the exciting thing is building
off of this natural tendency to create richer engagements and conversations
with and about the art- Not to replace interactions with the works with
photo taking activities. Although it is also interesting to see what
expectations youth bring to these experiences.

You also provided a few questions that I wanted to follow up on. You
mention a distinction between “mimesis” and “depiction” that I think is
really interesting. I actually spent a great deal of time debating the
appropriate concept to use to describe these activities and I think both
are appropriate and share subtle distinctions. I agree that ‘mimesis’
implies a dialogic relationship between the participant and the artwork -
but I would also argue that ‘depiction’ better captures the dialogic
relationship between the participants. I used the concept of depiction to
be consistent with Streeck’s framework.

You also mention that assuming gestures are either iconic or deictic
suggests that artwork does not have ideal content? Maybe you can elaborate
on what you mean by ideal content? I hope that I didn’t give the impression
that I feel visitor gestures are limited to these types (A goal of this
article was to introduce posing as a unique gestural activity).

Thank you!