[Xmca-l] Re: Intellect and consciousness

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:14:33 PDT 2014

Andy, David

Mike's question is generating answers.
Andy, you quoted:

 "In consciousness, the word is what - in Feuerbach's words - is absolutely
impossible for one person but possible for two. The word is the most direct
manifestation of the historical nature of human
consciousness. Consciousness is reflected in the word like the sun is
reflected in a droplet of water. The word is a microcosm of consciousness"

The key seems to be the word is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for one person but
possible for two. [dialectical. AND dialogical]

Volosinov wrote: "Language lives and historically evolves IN CONCRETE
verbal communication/Intercourse, neither in the abstract/linquistic forms
of language NOR in the individual psyche of the speakers."

Bahktin wrote:  "Actual act-performing thinking is an emotional-volitional
thinking, a thinking that INTONATES and THIS intonation permeates in an
ESSENTIAL manner in moments of a thought's content."

Vygotsky wrote:  "The one who begins by separating thinking from affect
forever CLOSES the way to an explication of the causes of thinking .... and
makes conversely also impossible the investigation of the reverse action of
thought on the affective-volitive side of psychological life."

Wolff-Miichael Roth wrote: "In a section of *Thought and Language* where
the scholar focuses on the changes of signification IN THE LIVING PROCESS
of verbal thinking, he provides a description of a continuous coming and
going that relates two processes, thinking and speaking, themselves
manifestations of a higher process, WORD-SIGNIFICATION. Vygotsky does NOT
say that one of the processes constitutes a dialectical inversion of the
other; instead he emphasizes the back and forth BETWEEN the processes. The
back and forth IS a DEVELOPING [rather than] constant process As a result
of the of THIS coming and going, a thought, which BEGINS as something VAGUE
develops into a fully articulated idea. The word, for Vygotsky, is NOT an
expression of thought; rather thought BECOMES fully itself ONLY IN
SPEAKING, the voice NEVER is cut off from the idea."

Wolf-Michael uses the metaphor [internal engine] in this statement:
A speaker "is not just dumping the contents of his mind into the public
forum, but that he [the speaker] is taking up and thefefore evaluating, the
preceding locution(Bahktin 1978) which is in FACT the internal engine that
DRIVES the development of speech activity generally AND its moments, the
individual utterances (understood as an irreducuible social phenomenon
specifically (Volosinov, 1930; Vygotskij, 2005) "

I hope these quotes gesture to *the engine that drives* intonation and
prosody [hearing and seeing as material processes] WITHIN dialectical and
dialogical INTERNAL RELATIONS.

larry