[Xmca-l] Re: Bibler's concept of "formations of Reasoning"

mike cole lchcmike@gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:34:12 PDT 2014

Thank you for sending your overview of the papers based Bibler's ideas and
their pedagogical implications, Peter. And thanks for the succinct summary
from Alex Kozulin, Larry.

To me it seems that the only way to overcome the ethnocentricism in the
model is to make the conversation a global polylogue, Peter. Creating the
conditions for such a polylogue within the structures of state or business
scientific structure of power seems a real challenge, even for the wealthy.

What source(s) does one take as the purpose of education, as a social
category and its related social institutions of implementation? Constantly
posing the questions seems one source. Creating alternatives seems another.
One hopes that where there is a way there will also be a will!

We'll see.

Meantime, I had a question about the quotation from Alex's work, so I will
include him the discussion, the contents of which he knows far better than
I. The statement that caught my eye was this:

At this moment it seems relevant to recall Vygotsky's distinction between
consciousness and intellect. Intellect, and its OBJECTIVIZED FORM,
scientific reasoning, are MONOLOGOUS and object-oriented, while
consciousness, which is ORGANIZED by the system of *senses* is NECESSARILY
dialogical.

​Here is my question: Where is this well known distinction between
consciousness and intellect best represented in Vygotsky's writings?

((It seems important to suggest that a consciously organized system of
senses
(as in sense/meaning) would be polylogical, that is, ideally, global.
Binary systems, in particular, seem to be unstable in ways that are not
condusive to human develpment.))

mike

​