[Xmca-l] Re: Jesper Juul, Ludologist

valerie A. Wilkinson vwilk@inf.shizuoka.ac.jp
Mon May 12 19:16:38 PDT 2014

Thank you for the word "ludologist"
Of course!  I mean if we are going to say "homo ludens" it's a short jump.
The problem is the Greek!  Homo sapiens is Greek Greek, but what is Greek for play?
Game or theater or refresh.
"All learning is gaming: mirror work (analog) and getting it right."
Vandy

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:29
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Jesper Juul, Ludologist

Does anyone know anything about the work of Jesper Juul, the ludologist?
( don't mean the Danish Doctor Spock.)

Jesper Juul, ludologist, has apparently written several books on computer games, including one on the curious paradox that gaming is something we do for fun even though (despite knowing that) it will soon make us unhappy (like television and certain forms of drugs).

I've only read one article of his, where he talks about playerless games (by which he means games that have no role for free will). It's mostly an intellectual exercise--a kind of gedankenexperiment which is really designed to show why we do need players and paradoxically why we should avoid thinking about play without thinking about the intrinsic quality of the game as well.

(I am actually thinking about this in the context of vocabulary research--what factors are intrinsic to the word, which are text intrinsic and which only inhere in the interaction between the learner and the
teacher!)

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies