[Xmca-l] Re: Questioning universal core emotions

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Thu May 8 03:49:17 PDT 2014

David,

How would you interpret self mutilation and sacrifice for a god would that be torture?  This argument appears to rest on whether it is an etic or emic view.

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
President
The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
www.mocombeian.com
www.readingroomcurriculum.com
www.paulcmocombe.info

Sorry--I'm not following. You are saying that your tintinnatus only exists
when you are interpreting it, yes? And the same thing goes for, say,
Smetana's tintinnatus, which appears, without his knowledge, in many of his
operas and which eventually drove him mad?

What about torture? You are arguing that torture only exists when we
interpret it as torture? I can tell you--from some first hand observations
made in the early eighties--that it ain't so.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies