[Xmca-l] Re: vygotsky's theory and symbolic interactionism

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Mar 31 21:17:49 PDT 2014

Greg, Mead did actually read the Phenomenology and explicitly claimed
that his I/Me concept was based on the Phenomenology. Vygotsky did not
read Hegel (only Lenin, Marx, Engels and those of his contemporaries who
did read Hegel).
However, my reading of Mead is that he never grasped the significance of
mediation in communication and subjectivity, despite the name  -
"symbolic interationism" - given to the school he spawned. I think, as
Chuck said, he saw using words as a creative act and seems not to have
reflected on the implications of the fact that the symbol pre-exists the
action of using it.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/