[Xmca-l] Re: Heidegger's Notebooks Renew Focus on Anti-Semitism - NYTimes.com

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:50:15 PDT 2014

Greg,

Your question:

Personally, I've gone back and forth on this quite a bit. I tend to feel
that a tool is a tool and while some tools are better for doing certain
things than others, the tool itself has no destiny in itself. Would anyone
argue differently with Heidegger?

I am curious about the *back and forth* many times aspect of your engaging
with this question.
Could tools have a *destiny* of their own?
Could tools AS medium [prosthetics] BE the message?
 Could this destiny go beyond the *choice* to pick up or put down the
tool/prosthetic *device*
Do we exist *within* or *inside* prosthetic tools or are prosthetic tools
external objects which we can pick up or put down intentionally?

There is a third way Shotter extends this question TO *texts* as a KIND or
TYPE of prosthetic tool.

Shotter's unique answer to this question, in his exploration of agential
realism, is that all three ASPECTS [not parts] within *felt tendency* are
operative in a rapidly fluid stream of awareness/ discernment.
Shotter suggests using prosthetics is not a conscious phenomena, but when
the action breaks down the prosthetic *device* within which we exist can
become conscious and then we become aware of the prosthetic device AS a
tool.

Do we also exist within *texts* and when the texts break down we can become
aware of *texts* as devices and discern the genres within which we exist.
Greg is this destiny??

Heidegger's CONCEPT OF *ready to hand* engaged with these questions.
In exploring Heidegger's *relevance* might the greatest *value* be to
engage with his work hermeneutically AS RESPONSE or ANSWERABILITY.
I understand Gadamer as developing his project IN ANSWER TO Heidegger.

Positioning theory [or at least certain KINDS or TYPES] can also be
understood as answerability or *hearing others into voice* from WITHIN the
emerging conversations constrained by social cultural norms [which are
being transformed within the engagement]