[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 07:50:44 PDT 2014

Folks, if I may jump in here, I think that there is a definitional problem
here: What is collaboration?

Andy seems to be coming at this from the Marx's angle that to be human is
to collaborate (man is a zoopoliticon - humans are collaborative all the
way down...). I think from Andy's point would be that all classrooms are
collaborative. But this isn't the way that most ed researchers think.

The ideology of individualism runs rampant in much theorizing about
education. Ed researchers start at square one that says that students begin
as individuals. In this case "collaboration" is an activity that one must
ACTIVELY make happen in the classroom (or anywhere else for that matter).
"Group projects" and "collaborative classrooms" are seen as exceptions to
the rule of "individualized learning" that is taken as the norm. And in
theorizing about education, "collaborative classroom" has a very particular
meaning (I'm not very familiar with this lit, but I gather this is true
from what Donna has told us - here and in her paper).

I'd add that there is a counterpart in the business world that follows this
same kind of thinking - it's called "working in teams." Again, this
involves an active and conscious decision to do something different from
what people normally do (i.e. "individual work") and have them work
together. Most folks in business know this genre/frame of interaction. Some
are head over heels for it and some loathe it (one of Donna's points). But
it seems to generally be accepted that "collaboration" is something
unnatural that one must "make" happen.

It is this notion of "collaboration" that Donna is going after. And in the
literature I'm willing to bet that people talk of "collaborative
classrooms" as a panacea (this is how every "new" idea in education is sold
to people). Frankly, I think this makes for a very weak view of
collaboration - and one in need of criticism (as Donna has done).

So I think that this would be a very interesting direction to pursue the
questions that Donna has raised in more depth: what is this discourse about
"collaborative classrooms" all about? What are the fundamental assumptions
that serve as the starting point against which "collaborative classrooms"
are seen as having to be "made"? And, to follow Andy's thinking, isn't
collaboration always already there in the classroom - in the class clown's
jokes, in the passing of notes during class, the conspiring against the
teacher or conspiring with the teacher against another class or the
principal, etc. (and I bet if you looked closer, you'd find that even
Mitchell is involved in some pretty impressive collaborations in this
classroom! It's just that they won't be happening during those times that
are EXPLICITLY marked as "collaborative work").

And I think this will naturally lead not to the question of "to collaborate
or not to collaborate" but rather to Andy's question: What KINDS of
collaborations are needed at this moment? How should they be configured.

Collaboration anyone?
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.