[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:47:43 PDT 2014

Donna,
I wonder if you could speak more about the endemic nature of failure in
collaboration? (and/or the inherent deficit of ANY collaboration?)

Perhaps some more examples of the kind of thing that you are seeing as
being systematic and consistent across all (nearly all?) instances of
collaboration?

If I'm following you, your key point is that there may be (always will be?)
people for whom collaboration will not work and for whom there is no such
thing as a good collaboration (e.g., p. 50 - "for some students...
collaboration may not be in their best interests").

Do you feel that there is no way to help students (both the alienated and
the alienating) to be better collaborators? And do you feel that these are
inherent characteristics of these students or does it matter what types of
groups they are being asked to collaborate with? Am I missing your point
entirely?

(and I can't help but wonder about the larger cultural contexts in which
these social contexts are built and the degree to which the failure of
collaboration might actually be pointing us to a larger failure - a
system(at)ic social/cultural failure in which social exclusion is demanded
by our dominant social system and the exclusions observed in classroom
collaborations are just children doing what they have learned is "normal";
but maybe things are different in Canada?).

My rose colored collaboration glasses seem to be stuck to my head and, much
as I try, I can't get them off. Perhaps you can help me remove them?

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor