[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Donna Kotsopoulos dkotsopo@wlu.ca
Thu Mar 27 05:22:42 PDT 2014

Interesting your use of the word "rereading" the videos. All I could see was the positioning - despite not having that theoretical orientation prior to the viewing of the videos. My initial focus on was on Gee's little "d" discourse. Remarkably, I was asked to go back and reread the videos and "just" attend to the mathematics which I could not do. There was an ethical obligation that made the actual mathematics seem secondary.

Almost parallel in time and design, another mathematics education researcher studied older students' collaborations. Our videos were remarkably, remarkably similar. The dystopic view of productive was undeniable in videos from each of the studies. Yet, one of us read the mathematics and, as you see from my work, I read something different.

Donna Kotsopoulos, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Faculty of Education & Faculty of Science, Department of Mathematics
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West, BA313K
Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3C5
(519) 884-0710 x 3953
www.wlu.ca/education/dkotsopoulos
www.wlu.ca/mathbrains

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any file(s) transmitted with it, is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned above as recipient(s). Any unauthorized distribution, copying or other use is strictly prohibited.
>>> On 3/26/2014 at 7:44 PM, in message <CAGaCnpx-TDVnE9SHry5quqV37-9s8MhYHKPSF4yurGQLP5OiuQ@mail.gmail.com>, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

Donna,

Your reflection,

"Even to the trained and present eye, it went unnoticed. This has raised to
me very important questions about what  is it that teachers actually see,
even when they are looking or thinking they are attending?"

Is a profound question exploring what we are actually attending to when we
are *consciously* attending. Your further insights that,

We simply didn't notice - despite our skill level, engagement, and our
attending. The masking behavior was so effective that we didn't notice -
and this is precisely why the positioning was so powerful and resulted in
productive silencing.

Donna, this *concealment* may indicate that what we as teachers are
*attending to* always includes *concealment* as our *attending*
presents partial ASPECTS of our *lived experience* with each other while
other ASPECTS remain *concealed*.

Also you mention you initially PLANNED on attending to the emerging
cognitive development of math concepts, but on *re-reading* the video
sequences, the positioning sequences were so compelling, that your initial
*intention* had to be re-adjusted..

What teacher's are actually *seeing* may be as *constrained* and
*concealed* as what they are *saying* and *hearing* and *doing*. It may be
that the relational flow BETWEEN *revealing* and *concealing* may be very
complex and the conceptual understanding of *discursive* may need to EXTEND
further the notion of *voice* to include *felt tendency* in our
understanding of positioning.

The phrase that we need to *hear each other into voice* speaks to the
vitality of Jennifer's insight that until we EXPLICITLY attend to the
quality of *hearing each other into voice* in contrast to the more
traditional educational goal of helping each student  *find their own
voice* [as a possession which they need to locate and claim] we may be
attending to [REVEALING] the more individualistic aspects of *voice* AS
positioning, while the intersubjective dialogical aspect of our
responsibility to HEAR the other INTO voice remains concealed [and
constrained].