[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:13:49 PDT 2014

Donna, Jennifer

Yes, it was Paley's expression "you cant' say you can't play" that I was
exploring as an EXPLICIT *value position* that can be contested as not
valuing individual choice.
Jennifer, your extending this *rule* with your observation

"From my experience, it was only when I asked students EXPLICITLY  to take
responsibility for the voices of their peers that I made any headway with
balancing positioning in groups"

also points to the ongoing negotiation and *shared reflection* of the
reality of positioning AS EXPRESSING OUR VOICES.

As a counsellor who explores issues of *belonging* and *friendship" the
issue of *developing caring* is another way into this conversation. I sense
that until a student actually EXPERIENCES [as felt movement of
vulnerability and trust] caring for another that the discussion ABOUT
caring is not productive.

Helping another to *find and express their personal voice* is exploring
this theme of FELT VITALITY as lived experience prior to our understanding
ABOUT caring as a conceptual *reality*.

Donna, your question why it is OK for some participants to not engage in
productive activity  and continue to *feel* a sense of belonging as a
participating member while other participants are actively excluded and
constrained from participating is an interesting question which may relate
to issues of *voice* AS *felt tendency*.

I have tried to imagine seriously engaging with Paley's statement and if
it would transgress our value of *individual reflective choice* to
EXPLICITLY engage with the alternative value which questions individual
choice in the *rule*

"You can't say you can't play"

The emphasis on EXPLICITLY developing a value position that encourages each
of us to help others *find voice* seems to be a possible answer* to Donna's
question.
Larry