[Xmca-l] Re: Bakhtin/Hegel

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Mar 23 20:03:28 PDT 2014

Interesting.
I presume Martin is leading us to the chapter by Jean-Francois Cote on
Bakhtin and Hegel. I would be interested in any serious consideration of
Hegel's philosophy in connecion with dialogue. Hegel himself only deals
with dialogue as a means of explicating philosophy among the Greeks
(other than a line where he says every work of Art is a dialogue with
the viewer who confronts it), but it is really impossible to read
Hegel's dialectic as anything other than a line of development driven by
dialogue. Many writers have followed this lead, but alas always taking
dialogue as a process which lacks mediation, which as such cannot grasp
Hegel's meaning.

But what I find wierd with Cote's article is that he seems to take it as
read that the subject matter of Hegel's philosophy is *introspection* in
the manner of Husserl's phenomenology. It just is very much *not* that.
I find this "reading" of Hegel to be very destructive as not only is it
very alien to the whole spirit of Hegel's philosophy, but allows every
word in his writing to be misinterpreted in a subjectivist way which
does much to make Hegel's writing even more inaccessible than it was to
begin with.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/