[Xmca-l] Re: poverty/class

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Mar 21 19:50:07 PDT 2014

One of the themes of the correlation you mention, Mike, is the focus on
"the creative industries." There are theories about the way cities can
escape from their rust-bucket depression by promoting "the creative
industries." These include software development (e.g. computer games),
advertising, packaging and fashion. That's probably fine for urban
renewal, except for the artists who get booted out of their old
warehouses which get done up for the expected "creative industries," but
where it's has a big negative impact in the academy is in the "critical
sciences." People involved in social and political criticism are
suddenly faced with imperatives to serve the "creative industries." So
feminist, philosophical and  political critiques, which were surviving
by a thread, now have to educate software makers who are building
computer games or artists who are designing advertisements all in the
name of needing to support the "creative industries."

Avram, I am not convinced that creating niche economies can in any way
ameliorate the domination of big capital. We have to find a way to
penetrate and subvert the sources of capitalist exploitation, rather
than offering "alternatives," I think. Capitalism can do perfectly well
without a certain percentage of the world's population who find an
"alternative".

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/