[Xmca-l] a paper for discussion

Vadeboncoeur, Jennifer j.vadeboncoeur@ubc.ca
Thu Mar 20 09:12:54 PDT 2014

Dear XMCA,

In the spirit of creating a space for dialogue, Mike, Artin, and I thought we'd identify a paper for discussion coupled with an author willing and available to discuss it and organize this for XMCA.

Donna Kotsopoulos has graciously agreed to discuss her paper in the recent issue of MCA, entitled The case of Mitchell's cube: Interactive and reflexive positioning during collaborative learning in mathematics. The paper highlights a number of relational factors that can interfere with learning in collaborative settings and identifies implications.

The abstract is below and we'll make the paper available to everyone, then wait a few days to allow for reading and thinking through, then we'll be set for a discussion.

As always, welcome to all who decide to and have the time to engage in this space and special thanks to Donna for being ready to jump in when we are ready!!

Best - jen

The Case of Mitchell's Cube: Interactive and Reflexive Positioning During Collaborative Learning in Mathematics

DOI:
10.1080/10749039.2013.790905
Donna Kotsopoulos<http://www.tandfonline.com/action/doSearch?action=runSearch&type=advanced&searchType=journal&result=true&prevSearch=%2Bauthorsfield%3A(Kotsopoulos%2C+D)>a*

pages 34-52

Abstract

Using positioning theory as a guiding framework, this qualitative research examined the experiences of students who appeared to be marginalized from collaborative learning in mathematics in a middle school setting. Positioning theory describes the discursive process whereby people are located in conversations as observably and subjectively coherent participants in jointly produced story lines. Interactive positioning describes when one or more persons position another individual. Reflexive positioning describes the positioning of oneself. In this research, I examined instances of (mis)alignment between interactive and reflexive positioning during collaborative learning. Factors potentially contributing to (mis)alignment are considered as well as implications for students, learning, and instruction.